You’ve got the basic equation down: Healthy weight involves a bit of math involving exercise and diet. If you burn more calories than you consume, then you’re on the right path… Keeping it simple for now 😉
There’s another piece of the puzzle you can’t ignore: Your emotional state.
If you’re sad, lonely, stressed out, or feeling deprived, then it’s going to feel impossible sticking to your eating and exercise plan. Those food cravings can hit just when you’re feeling vulnerable – and then, bam, here come the empty promises and false comfort of junk food.
So, since you’re going to continue having emotions, and since sometimes they might run away from you because you are, you know, HUMAN, let’s tackle this issue head on.
- Spot your triggers. Not getting along with someone? Work deadlines tight? Kids on your last nerve? You know what presses your buttons and makes you want to grab the chips. Knowing them helps hit the pause button on impulse-driven choices you’ll regret.
- Move It. Try to do something physical in response to these triggers. Go for a walk, play with your dog, or schedule workouts to follow your stressful job shift. Meditation and journaling can be lifesavers, too.
- Keep Track. Use a food diary, or record what you eat using an app on your smartphone. Note how you’re feeling before and after you eat.
- Limit Temptation. A little prevention goes a long way. If you don’t buy the junk food at the grocery store, then it won’t be in the house when you’re feeling low. Keep healthy snacks on hand instead – at work, too.
- Moderation, Not Deprivation. Avoid the all-or-nothing mindset. Strive for balance, instead. Eat well most of the time, enjoy a little indulgence occasionally, and be consistent over time… And you must be patient
If you still feel troubled by emotional eating, you might want to see a counselor or a therapist. Seeking support is a sign of strength and maturity, and one of the best tools we have to achieve success.
To see if fitness coaching, endurance coaching, nutrition & lifestyle coaching, performance coaching, or any combination of these is right for you, I invite you to apply HERE today so you can start working towards your goals before 2023 ends (we have less than 3 months to go)!