Ah the New Year! This is always such a wonderful time of year to set new intentions. I know there is always some backlash against “Resolutions” because many people don’t keep them past February… So don’t call them “Resolutions” if you associate not following through with that word, instead call them New Year RESULTS!
There is something about the blank slate of a New Year to decide what you want to make happen! It is exciting, motivating and worth taking advantage of. What will your 2018 New Year Results be?
Set some goals that you know you can commit to. Here are 20 suggestions for new micro-habits that could add-up to some big transformations in 2018…
- Drink ½ your bodyweight in ounces of water every day
- Take 3g of high-quality fish oils every day
- Download and use the HeadSpace meditation app for 10 minutes every day
- Get to bed by 10:30pm (or earlier if needed) 3 nights a week
- Write down 3 things you were grateful for during the day, every evening before you go to bed
- Write down 3 “victories” you achieved during the day, every evening before you go to bed
- Read for 15 minutes every day instead of watching television
- Walk/run 10,000 steps every day
- Do 20 push-ups every morning
- Stretch and/or foam roll for 5 minutes every morning
- Spend 5 minutes planning the day within the first hour of waking up
- Have a veggie-based protein smoothie 3 times a week
- Every 3 months write down 10 people who have supported or positively influenced you and write them a personal note to say thank you
- Declutter your inbox by unsubscribing from any emails you no longer read. Including this one if applicable, although you’ve just got to point 14 so I’m guessing you have at least half an interest in what I’ve got to say 😉
- Avoid caffeine after 12:00pm
- Turn-off social media after 9:00pm
- Plan and prepare your meals for the week every Sunday evening
- Commit to strength training at least 3 days a week
- Set yourself some exercise-related targets, then plan monthly non-food-related rewards for following them
- Eat breakfast everyday
Now how do you make sure to keep yourself on-track with your New Year Results (micro-habits)? I started using an app called Productive to help build new daily habits. You put in whatever you want and it gives you a reminder when it’s time to do it. Take some time this week to sit down and write down your goals for 2018. Remember to consider goals in all areas of your life – health & fitness, financial, career, family, spiritual, experiences… Or make a vision board with pictures reminding you and keeping you focused throughout the year.
Whatever you decide to change in 2018, I hope it brings you the success that you’re looking for. Here’s to you in 2018!
Founder, Renov8 Fitness, LLC